Golf carts are a popular mode of transportation in South Carolina, and if you plan to use your golf cart on public roads, you must register it with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Here are the steps on how to register a golf cart in SC:
- Gather the required documents. You will need the following documents to register your golf cart:
- A bill of sale or other proof of ownership
- Proof of liability insurance
- Your valid driver’s license number
- The payment of a $5 registration fee
- Complete the Golf Cart Permit Registration form (SCDMV Form GC-2). This form can be found on the SCDMV website or at any SCDMV branch.
- Submit the required documents and payment to the SCDMV. You can submit the documents and payment in person at any SCDMV branch, by mail, or online.
- Receive your golf cart permit and registration document. Once your registration is processed, you will receive your golf cart permit and registration document in the mail.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when registering your golf cart in SC:
- Your golf cart must meet certain safety requirements. Your golf cart must have a working brake system, headlights, taillights, and turn signals. It must also have a slow-moving vehicle (SMV) emblem displayed on the back.
- You must register your golf cart in the county where you reside. You can find the contact information for your local SCDMV branch on the SCDMV website.
- Your golf cart registration is valid for five years. You must renew your registration every five years.
I hope this blog post has been helpful. If you have any further questions about registering a golf cart in SC, please contact the SCDMV.