Contact us now

North Carolina DL123 Form

Liability Insurance must be issued by a company licensed to do business in North Carolina.

Each driver must be listed on the document provided for liability insurance when applying as a new driver.

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles recognizes the documents below as proof of liability insurance. 

Please note: Proof of insurance documents must be scanned into the NCDMV system. Therefore, customers should bring printed information as digital insurance information is not accepted. Applicants may contact their insurance provider during their visit at a local driver license office to request a faxed copy.  ​

  • ​Insurance policy from a North Carolina-licensed insurer that show the dates the policy was issued and became effective
  • North Carolina Certificate of Insurance (FS-1) showing the vehicle year, make, model and vehicle identification number
  • DL-123 insurance form (provided by a North Carolina insurance company)

​​​​​All vehicles with a valid North Carolina registration are required by state law (G.S. 20-309) to have continuous liability insurance provided by a company licensed to do business in North Carolina.

Out-of-state policies are not accepted.

Liability insurance protects drivers and their families against injuries and property damage caused by the negligence of other drivers who might have limited, minimum or no liability insurance.

To avoid fines and fees, an individual should not cancel their insurance until they have surrendered their license plate to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

Minimum Coverage

North Carolina law (G.S. 20-279.21) also requires insurance coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists, as well as minimum bodily injury and property damage limits. This is required for all policies, even if they exceed the minimum requirements.

​Requirement​Coverage Amount
​Bodily injury (one person)​​$30,000
​Bodily injury (two or more people)​$60,000
​Property damage​$25,000

For more information, call the Consumer Services Division of the N.C. Department of Insurance at (855) 408-1212. Select Option 3.


North Carolina’s liability insurance law is strictly enforced, and insurance companies are required to notify the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles if liability insurance on a vehicle is canceled or coverage lapses for any reason.

NCDMV will send a liability insurance termination notification to the vehicle’s registered owner, who has 10 days from the date printed on the notice to respond. Failure to respond may result in the revocation of the vehicle’s license plate as well as civil penalties, late fees, interest and collections.

*Civil penalties assessed for a lapse in liability insurance are based on the number of prior lapses a registered owner has had on their vehicle within three years of the current lapse.​

Name of FeeFee AmountDescription
1st Insurance Lapse$50Penalty/Fee*
2nd Insurance Lapse$100Penalty/Fee*
Restoration fee$50Penalty/Fee*
Subsequent insurance lapses$150Penalty/Fee*
Name of FeeFee AmountDescription