Even the most experienced driver can end up in an auto accident. Whether the accident is your fault or the fault of the other driver it can be extremely stressful and hard to remember what to do. We recommend keeping the following six steps in your car just incase the unexpected occurs.
1. Stay Calm – by staying calm you can remain in control of the situation.
2. Make sure you and your passengers are ok, move as far off of the road as possible, and turn on your hazard lights. Do NOT leave the scene of the accident.
3. Call 911 or the appropriate emergency number to report the accident.
4. Contact your Auto Insurance company to report the claim. The sooner they know about the accident, the sooner they can start to resolve the claim.
5. Do NOT admit fault – In order to protect yourself legally do not admit fault, and only discuss the accident with the police and your auto insurance company.
6. Exchange vital information – Include the name, address, phone number and license plate number of the other driver and any witnesses to the accident. Also, be sure to get the insurance company name and policy number of the other driver involved.
It is always beneficial to be aware of your auto insurance coverage. Make sure to speak with your insurance agent regarding your coverage limits. The last thing you want is to have an accident and have to worry about your insurance not covering the cost of the damages.
Contact us today to review or get a quote on your auto insurance.