Contact us now

SR-22: What You Need To Know

Need an SR22 but unsure what to do? We’re here to help. Upstate’s Choice Insurance offers to handle SR22 filings for our customers, so if the court has ordered you to carry an SR22, we can file it for you. Just a quick call to 864-845-7500 and we’ll get you started.

What Is It?

Simply stated, an SR22 is a document that shows proof of financial responsibility. You’ll need an SR22 if the police caught you driving without insurance, and you’ll be required to carry the SR22 for a specified amount of time (usually three years). Once you properly fulfill that time period, your SR22 status expires.

SR-22s also are associated with the following:
•DUI or DWI or any serious moving violation
•At-fault accidents while driving without insurance
•Repeat traffic offenses or getting too many tickets in a short time period
•License suspension or revoked license

How Long Do I Need an SR22?

Expect a long relationship with your SR-22 — most likely three years — similar to a probationary period after a criminal offense. You must carry continuous insurance during the specified period of time before SR-22 status is removed. If your policy lapses or is canceled, your auto insurance company is required to notify the state immediately and your license will be suspended again.

Details and Specifics

We’ll file the actual SR-22 form with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to show proof of insurance for you. Once we file your SR-22, your license suspension will be lifted and you can drive again legally.

SR-22s are state specific — what’s required in one state may not apply in another state.


If you currently carry an SR-22 in one state but move to another state, you must fulfill the SR-22 filing period for your former state, even though you no longer reside there. Also, your insurance policy for your new state must have liability limits which meet the minimums required by law in your former (SR-22) state.