CAR CRASHES RANK AMONG THE LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH IN
THE UNITED STATES… AND ARE THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH
FOR CHILDREN, TEENS, AND YOUNG ADULTS UP TO AGE 34.
THAN YOU CAN
AFFORD TO LOSE.
YOU ARE BETTING MORE
IF YOU RUN A
STOP ON RED — NOBODY DEAD:
- Decide now that you will always be prepared to
Stop on Red as a driver, cyclist, or pedestrian.
- Obey speed limits so you have time and space
to stop prior to entering the intersection.
PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED
ONES FROM RED-LIGHT RUNNERS:
- Intersections can be dangerous — when
the light turns green, look in all directions
for red-light runners before proceeding
whether driving, cycling or walking.
TAKE IT TO HEART:
- Share this brochure.
- Talk about the dangers of red light-running
with friends, family, and co-workers.
- Volunteer to support a Stop Red-Light Running
campaign in your community.
DO YOUR PART TO STOP
RED-LIGHT RUNNING TRAGEDIES
…We Bet You Didn’t Know
About Red-Light Running*
- You or your loved ones are more likely to be injured
due to a red-light running related crash than any
other type of crash.
- Running a red light or other traffic control is the
most common cause of all urban crashes.
- Someone runs a red light an average of every 20
minutes at urban intersections.
- In the last decade, red-light running crashes
killed nearly 9,000 people.
- An estimated 165,000 motorists, cyclists, and
pedestrians are injured annually by red-light
- Half of the people killed by red-light runners are not
the signal violators — they are passengers,
other motorists, pedestrians,
- Nearly 93% of drivers believe running a
red light is unacceptable, yet 1 in 3 drivers
reported doing so in the past 30 days.
- There are an average of 7 fatal crashes and over
1,000 injury crashes EVERY DAY at signalized
intersections across the United States.
- The cost to society of all crashes exceeds $230
- The tragedies and costs resulting from red-light
running are preventable!
*Visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/stopredlightrunning to
access the references for these statistics.
Visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/stopredlightrunning to access
the Federal Highway Administration’s “Implementing a
Stop Red-Light Running Program” outreach materials
for communities and to download or distribute electronic
copies of this brochure.
FEW THINGS WILL STOP YOU FASTER IN LIFE
THAN A CRASH BECAUSE YOU RAN A RED LIGHT …OR WERE HIT BY A RED-LIGHT RUNNER
“Red-light violators likely do not realize that even low speed (30 mph) side impact crashes can
be deadly. Because of the relatively thin protection along the side of a vehicle, a large amount of
force is transferred directly to the victim.”
— John K. Cumming, M.D.
Hennepin County Medical Center, Minnesota
- A ticket and moving violation on
- Damage to your vehicle.
- Higher insurance costs.
- A lengthy, expensive hospital stay
and recovery from injury.
- Irreversible consequences if you
injure or kill someone else.
IF YOU RUN A
RED LIGHT YOU
Penalties for red-light
running and signal
violations can vary
(Don’t race through a yellow light!)
A yellow light at an intersection should last
long enough that a vehicle traveling at the
posted speed can either:
Apply the brakes and comfortably and safely
decelerate to a stop prior to reaching the
front of the intersection
Maintain the same speed and safely clear
“More than half of drivers say driving is less safe today than it was 5 years ago —
a 17% increase from only one year ago. Nearly half cite driver distraction as the reason.”